Who we are
CREWE Associates was founded in 2011 by Jean-Claude Baumgarten.
Born in Strasbourg, he graduated from the French business school, Ecole des Hautes Etudes Commerciales.
Joining in 1970, he spent 12 years in Asia,
- Regional Manager for West Japan in 1974
- Regional Manager for Thailand and Burma, as well as Singapore, Malaysia and Indonesia in 1978
- General Manager for Japan in 1982, also serving as Chairman of the French Chamber of Commerce and Industry in Japan
Changing continent, he became Vice President and General Manager for the United States in 1986.
Returning to France,
- Vice President and General Manager for France in 1990
- Executive Vice President of Commercial Operations and Member of the Executive and Strategic Committee in 1993
- Executive Vice President of Corporate, International & Industrial Affairs in 1996
- Advisor to the Chairman, prior to leaving Air France in 1998
World Travel & Tourism Council
In 1998 the board of WTTC appointed Jean-Claude to President and CEO. He spent the next 12 years raising the awareness of the economic, social and environmental importance of travel and tourism among governments, medias and opinion leaders.
During this time at WTTC,
- Council membership increased to over a hundred of the leading executives in hospitality, airlines, tour operators, distribution and other related industries.
- The annual World Travel & Tourism Summit developed into an influential landmark event in the industry, a gathering of council members, governments and heads of state. Held in Beijing, New Delhi, Washington, Tokyo, Florianópolis, Vilamoura, Lisbon, Doha, Dubai and Abu Dhabi.
- The WTTC research centre grew to become a leading source of economic analysis consulted by governments, institutions, medias and the general public.
In 2010, he became Vice Chairman of the World Travel & Tourism Council. Throughout the years, he has also served on the board of many companies in the travel and tourism sector.
Today, as Chairman & MD of CREWE Associates, Jean-Claude is consulting major stakeholders, governments, companies and institutions, in the development of strategy and destination promotion.
- Chevalier dans l’Ordre National de la Légion d’Honneur
- Officier de l’Ordre National du Merite
- Chevalier des Arts et Lettres
- Portuguese & Brazilian Gold Medal, Tourism
- Doctor Honoris Causa at the Universities of Buffalo, USA and Bournemouth, UK